A super easy recipe (if you've got a blender), which showcases one of our favourite healthy ingredients: omega 3 rich smoked mackerel. An ideal lunch or a snackable dip for any time.
- Serves: 6
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Utensils: food blender
- Storage: keeps in the fridge for 4-5 days
- Suitability: low sugar, gluten free (as a dip)
200g smoked mackerel fillets
150g cream cheese
1 tbsp drained capers
1 lemon (zest and juice)
2-3 chopped spring onions
1 cup chopped parsley
1 small cucumber
- 1. Add all the ingredients to a food blender (or you can use a stick blender and large bowl) and blend for 30 secs
- Scrape the mix into a serving dish and add black pepper, extra lemon zest and chopped herbs
- Serve on toasted wholegrain sourdough bread or gluten-free oat crackers, topped with cucumber slices (or as a dip, with carrot and celery sticks)
Tips: add grated horseradish for extra taste; replace parsley with dill or coriander
Mackerel is an incredibly rich source of Omega 3 (even more than salmon), a fatty acid with anti-inflammatory and cardiovascular health properties that many people do not consume enough of. Additionally, mackerel contains high levels of vitamins A, B12 & D and Selenium, all nutrients vital for a healthy immune system, along with protein for sustained energy.
Parsley is a rich source of vitamin A and weight for weight has as more vitamin C than oranges. It is rich in carotenoids, phytochemicals that are associated with a lower risk of developing some cancers and heart disease, and improved immunity.