20 Easy Anti-Inflammatory Diet Hacks
Swap, switch, substitute your way to better health, with our simple diet hacks.
Embracing an anti-inflammatory lifestyle brings lots of benefits to people with osteoarthritis and auto-immune conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis. Basically, you stop fueling the illness and start fighting it from within. It’s not as complex as it sounds and a great place to start is your everyday diet.
Making a few smart decisions about what you eat, drink and cook with can make a huge difference to your health. Plus, our tips mean your dishes are still delicious – we think more so!
Cook to Perfection
1. Ditch industrial oils and processed fats, like margarine and sunflower oil; replace with extra virgin olive, avocado & coconut oils, plus organic butter
2. Eat anti-inflammatory sweet and red potatoes or pumpkin, instead of starchy white potatoes (they can all be baked, mashed, fried in olive oil or even used to make crisps)
3. Use apple cider and balsamic vinegar in salad dressings, along with extra virgin olive oil; avoid mayonnaise (as it often contains processed fats) or make your own
4. Consume lots and lots of oily fish rich in omega 3, such as salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines and anchovies (it is said, the smaller the fish, the less toxins)
5. Sneak super-healthy, fresh or powdered turmeric and ginger into savoury dishes
6. Instead of mashed potato, smash up steamed cauliflower; rather than starchy pasta, peel a courgette/zucchini into long strips (add grated parmesan and you’ll barely notice)
7. Have a bunch or bag of spinach on hand, as it goes in everything (omelets, soups, pasta sauces, curries, pies, sandwiches, salads, even smoothies)
8. Swap packaged cooking sauces (often full of hidden sugar) for spices, such as chilli, garlic and ginger, fresh herbs and a can of chopped tomatoes
9. Give up processed white bread and choose wholegrain, rye or sourdough (even better, get baking!)
Sweeter Side of Life
10. Choose fresh fruit as a dessert or snack, instead of cakes, muffins and biscuits; especially good for you are berries, such as blueberries, raspberries and strawberries
11. Replace sugary soft drinks and cordial with sparkling mineral water and a slice of fruit (orange, lemon and grapefruit work well, but why not try apple, raspberries or kiwi fruit)
12. Sweeten dishes with a little organic honey and definitely not processed, white sugar (ever!)
13. Buy unsweetened, natural yoghurt and use it instead of cream or ice cream (avoid low fat yoghurt, it’s often full of sugar)
14. Add powerful anti-inflammatory cinnamon to sweeten dishes
15. Snack on unsalted nuts – they are anti-inflammatory powerhouses (walnuts, brazil nuts and almonds are particularly crammed with useful nutrients)
16. Enjoy good quality dark chocolate (85%+) instead of milk or white chocolate (I have two pieces every night after dinner)
Drink to Your Health
17. Juice veggies for sweet, healthy drinks (especially carrots, celery, beetroots)
18. Drink organic green, white or herbal tea, instead of sweetened Starbucks-style coffee drinks (I love turmeric tea and lemongrass & ginger tea)
19. Choose full fat milk - it has more of the good stuff and sates your appetite better (not to mention tasting nicer)
20. Alcohol is simply not good for you, sorry. But, if you still like an occasional tipple, choose lighter, less strong, low sugar drinks (spirits with soda water or dry wine are better than beer or sugary mixers)
If you struggle to get all the nutrients you need from your diet – especially those which people are commonly deficient in, such as Vitamin D3 and K2 – consider a supplement to give you a helping hand. We know just the one…!
ActiFlex All-in-One Supplement
ActiFlex™ provides 15 carefully selected vitamins, minerals and herbal extracts, in a convenient supplement, to help people boost their health. Based on the founder’s experience of living with arthritis and trying lots of supplements, our unique formula has all the right ingredients, in their most effective forms, in high doses. With all the hard work done for you, why not give it a try!?